Fife: About 4.5 miles north-east of Leven, on minor roads west of A915, 0.5 miles north of Largo Law, at or near Balhousie.
Site of tower or old house, the location not certain. The place does not appear to be marked on Blaeu’s map of Fife, but it is marked as ‘Bousi?’ on Adair’s map of the east part of Fife, although this part of the map is faint and difficult to decipher. Balhousie is a two-storey house, possibly dating from the 18th century, but substantially 19th century with later work.
The lands appear to have been held by the Borthwicks in 1527. Sir Philip Anstruther of the ilk had a ratification of 1669 which mentions the lands of Balhousie, with the manor place, dovecots etc, as well as the previous holder, Mr George Gibson of Balhousie (or Balhoussie), and the Gibsons held the property from the middle of the 17th century or earlier. John Pattullo of Balhousie signed Petition of the shire of Fife in 1701. The Pattullos were still in possession in 1793.
(sites, places, clans, names, Outlander, films, dates)
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.