Lothians: About 2 miles east and south of Haddington, on minor roads south of A199 or east of B6369, south of River Tyne, at or near East or West Bearford.
Site of grange, and then tower or old house, the location not certain. ‘Barfoot’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians, then probably ‘Barfoord?’ on Adair’s map of East Lothian. This part of the map is quite faint, but there appears to be a substantial building in wooded policies. There are farmhouses at both East and West Bearford.
The grange was a property of Newbattle Abbey, but passed to the Hepburns in the 17th century and James Hepburn of Bearford is on record in 1648. Robert Hepburn of Bearford is mentioned in 1678 and later, including an Act of 1690.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.