Lothians: About 3 miles west and south of Livingston, on minor roads south of A705, south-east of village of Blackburn, north of River Almond, at or near Blackburn House.
Probable site of tower or old house, the location not certain. Blackburn House is a compact but imposing classical house of two storeys with flanking pavilions joined to the main block by curving walls. The back of the edifice has two polyagonal projecting bays and rises to four storeys. The house was abandoned in the 1970s and became derelict, but was restored from 1998 to house offices and gallery space.
‘Blackburn’, ‘Mekle Blackburn’ and ‘Litle Blacburn’ are marked on Blaeu’s map of the Lothians, while ‘Blakburn’ is marked on Adair’s map of West Lothian, although this part of the map is very faint.
The lands were held by the Cunninghams of Kilmaurs, but in 1424 with to the Forresters of Corstorphine. The property appears to have gone to the Hamiltons, and Sir George Hamilton of Blackburn is on record in 1622. The town of Blackburn, then held by Patrick Murray of Livingston, had an Act granting the right to have three fairs and a market in 1696. George Moncrieff bought the property towards the end of the 18th century and he built the house and moved the village of Blackburn formerly near the house to its present location. Blackburn then went to Moncrieff’s nephew, Major Thomas Clarkson, then later to the Douglases. The house was occupied until the 1970s.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.