Lothians: About 5 miles west and north of Edinburgh Castle, on minor roads north of A90, east of Cramond Brig, at Braehead.
Breahead House, an attractive two storey and an attic edifice with corbiestepped gables and dormer windows, incorporates an L-plan tower or house, possibly dating from the 16th century or earlier. The building was remodelled at the end of the 17th century, in the 18th century and in 1877. It stands in fine gardens with a sundial, fountain and walled garden, and there is a stone with 1687.
There is a turnpike stair.
‘Ober Kramont’ and ‘Nether Kramont’ are marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians. ‘Ober Cramond’ is marked on Adair’s map of Midlothian, and is shown with wooded and enclosed policies. ‘Nedder Cramond’ is also marked, and is Cramond (also see that entry and also see Whitehouse). ‘Braehead’ is marked on Roy’s map of the mid 18th century.
This was held by the Howison (or Howieson) family, and Alexander and James Howison, portioners of Over Cramond, are on record in 1649 in the Act in favour of the kirk session of Cramond. The family were descendants of Jock Howison, who according to the old tale rescued James V, disguised as the ‘Gudeman of Ballengeich’, from a party of gypsies and were given the lands as reward. The family became Houison-Craufurd by marriage around the middle of the 18th century (and also held Craufurdland). Members of the family are buried in Cramond kirkyard [NT 190768].
The house is in good condition and still occupied.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.