Fife: About 2.5 miles east and north of Glenrothes, on minor roads east of B9130, west of Brunton Barns, at Brunton.
Site of tower or old house, which was replaced by a mansion, itself demolished. There is a small lean-to doocot [NO 306021], which dates from around the end of the 17th century. The house was a two-storey edifice with an attic with dormer windows, but has been demolished. A walled garden survives.
‘Bruntoun’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of Fife, then ‘Brountoun’ on Adair’s map of the east part of Fife, when depicted in enclosed and wooded policies.
The lands may have been a property of the Cockburns in the 15th century and the Wardlaws. In the late 17th century the property was held by the Laws, and James Law of Brunton is on record in 1678, 1690 and 1704. Brunton was held by the Paxtons of Barnslee in the middle of the 19th century.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.