Lothians: About 3.5 miles east and south of Pathhead, 2 miles west of Humbie, on minor roads east of A68, 1 mile north and east of Fala Dam, near Mains of Costerton.
Possible site of tower or old house. Costerton House dated from 1821, probably on the site of an older building, but was ruinous by the 1960s and has been demolished. All that remains is a derelict doocot, dating from the mid 18th century, an ice house, and some remains of a walled garden.
Costerton is marked on Blaeu’s map of Lothian, and ‘Costerstoun’ on Adair’s map of Haddingtonshire.
The estate appears to have been a property of Dunfermline Abbey, but was a property of the Balfours in the 16th century, then sold to the Maitlands of Thirlestane towards the end of that century. The lands were held by the Craigs in the early 18th century, one of whom was James Craig of Costerton, writer to the signet, but went by marriage to the Tytlers, who were later Lords Woodhouselee. Later it was owned by the Ainslies, and the Astley Ainslie Hospital in Edinburgh was founded by David Ainslie of Costerton, a wealthy sheep breeder and landowner, who died in 1900. It was later home to Rev. Francis Nichol, Principal of the United College of St Andrews.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.