Lothians: About 3 miles east and south of Dunbar, on minor roads north of A1, north of railway line, east of cement works, at or near East Barns.
Site of tower or old house, and ‘E. Barns’ is depicted on Adair’s map of East Lothian and shown in wooded policies. The was a country house, but this was finally demolished in the 1980s, along with farm buildings in 2013 for quarrying. There was also a village, but this has gone.
This was a property of Robert Ramsay of Wyliecleugh in 1600, after Ramsay had helped James VI against the Ruthvens at Gowrie House in Perth the same year. He was also knighted. In 1606 he was nade Lord Ramsay of Barns. Later the property was held by the Inglis family, and Cornelius Inglis of East Barns is on record in 1661 and 1663. The lands appear to have been divided, but at least part were held by the Hays in the 19th century.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.