Lothians: About 4 miles east of Tranent, at or near A199, at or near village of Gladsmuir.
Site of tower or old house, and ‘Glades moore’ and ‘Gladsmoorestone’ are marked on Blaeu’s map of the Lothians, then as ‘Gladsmoor’ on Adair’s map of East Lothian, where it is depicted as a castle or house in a rectangular enclosure to the west and south of the church. The location is not certain.
Mr Robert Hodge of Gladsmuir is on record in 1662, when he was fined £600 in the Act containing some exceptions from the Act of Indemnity. Mary Hodge of Gladsmuir was the wife of Colonel James Gardiner of Bankton, who was slain at the Battle of Prestonpans in 1745. The lands of Glasmuir are recorded as being held by the burgh of Haddington.
The old ruinous parish church [NT 458733] dates from 1695 and stands in a burial ground with some interesting memorials dating from as early as the 18th century. It replaced an earlier church. The building stands to the north of the present parish church, dating from the 19th century and designed by William Burn.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.