Lothians: About 3.5 miles east and south of North Berwick, on minor roads east or south of A198, at or near Gleghornie.
Site of tower or old house, the location not certain. ‘Gleghorn’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians, and then on Adair’s map of East Lothian. There was apparently a village here in medieval times, but little remains.
The property was held by the Wauchopes, and in 1618 George Wauchope of Glenhornie complained that his daughter Margaret had been viloently ravished by Patrick Home. Margaret and Patrick were later married that year, and it appears the girl may have preferred Patrick to the proposed husband chosen by her father… Brown of Cleghornie is mentioned in the Act anent supply of 1704.
John Mair was born at the village of Gleghornie around 1467, and was a professor of theology at Paris, then later Provost of St Salvator’s College in St Andrews.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.