Lothians: About 2 miles west and south of Edinburgh Castle, near A71 (Gorgie Road).
Site of tower or old house, nothing of which remains, dating from the 16th century or earlier. This was altered and extended in later centuries, but by 1953 had been completely demolished.
‘Gorgy’ and ‘Gorgymill’ are marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians, then ‘Gorgie’ on Adair’s map of Midlothian.
Gorgie was a property of the Hamiltons in 1527 when James Hamilton of Finnart gave it to James Hamilton of Shawfield, his cousin. John Shaw of Sornberg had a ratification of 1672 which mentions the lands but not a tower or manor; however John Chiesley (or Chiesly) of Gorgie has a ratification for Gorgie the same year which does mention the manor place. The property seems to have gone to the Browns, and John Brown of Gorgie Mill is on record in 1681.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.