Lothians: About 3 miles west of Dunbar or 3 miles east of East Linton, on minor road south of A199, south of A1, at or near Hedderwick.
Site of tower or old house, marked on Blaeu’s map of East Lothian as ‘Hatherwick’, then on Adair’s map of East Lothian as ‘Hetherwick’. The farmhouse dates from the 19th century. Hedderwick Hill House [NT 639780] was a mansion, but this was blown up in 1961 and demolished although the stables and dairies, and a walled garden, dating from the late 18th century, survive.
Hedderwick was a property of the Hamiltons in 1672 when James Hamilton, merchant burgess of Edinburgh, had a ratification for the lands, although no tower or manor place is mentioned. He or another James Hamilton of Hedderwick is mentioned in 1696 and 1704.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.