Fife: About 3 miles north and west of Leven, on minor roads north of A916, at or near Kilmux.
Site of tower or old house, the location not certain. Kilmux House is a compact classical mansion of two storeys, which dates from 1830.
‘Kylmucks’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of Fife, then ‘Kilmucks’ on Adair’s map of the east part of Fife, when depicted in wooded policies.
The lands were probably held by the Wemyss family, but are mentioned in a ratification for Adam Bellenden of Kilconquhar, bishop of Dunblane, in 1621. By the middle of the 18th century Kilmux was held by the Duries, but it later went to James Byth Fernie, who built the present house and was an agricultural improver.
There was a colliery near here, the ruin of the beam engine house [NO 363043] surviving.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.