Lothians: To the south of Dunbar, on minor roads south of A1087 or north of A1, at Lochend.
Site of tower or old house. The present ruins are from a two-storey house of the 17th century, including a gateway with the date 1684. There is a heraldic panel with the initials IB.
‘Lochend’ is marked on Blaeu”s map of The Lothians (there was a loch here), and then prominently on Adair’s map of East Lothian, where is depicted in walled policies and gardens.
The property was held by the Inglis family, and Robert Inglis of Lochend is mentioned in Judicial Proceedings of 1474. By 1617 the lands had gone to the Baillies when James Baillie of Lochend is on record in a ratification. Sir Gideon Baillie of Lochend is mentioned in 1641. Lochend went by marriage to the Sinclairs of Longformacus by 1680, and Sir John Sinclair of Lochend is on record in 1690. The house passed to the Warrenders of Bruntsfield, was remodelled by William Burn in 1826 but was destroyed by fire in 1859. Lochend was owned by the Tweedies in the middle of the 20th century. In 2013 the remaining fragments were delisted and threatened with demolition.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.