Lothians: About 2 miles north and west of Edinburgh (Castle), on minor roads north of A902, Pilton.
Site of tower or old house, the location not certain. ‘Pilmuse’ is on Blaeu’s map of the Lothians, and ‘Piltoun’ is marked on Adair’s map of Midlothian and is depicted as a substantial house with an enclosed and wooded garden.
The property was held by the Rollos (or Rollocks) in the 17th century, and Peter Rollo of Pilton was the Protestant Bishop of Dunkeld and a Lord of Session as Lord Pilton. He died in 1632. The property went to the Ainslies, and Sir Philip Ainslie of Pilton is on record in the 18th century. Members of the family are buried in an enclosure at Cramond kirkyard [NT 190768].
The house at Pilton was destroyed by fire in 1749 and was not rebuilt.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.