Fife: To the east of Crail, on minor roads east of A917, at or near Sauchope.
Site of tower or old house, the location not certain. ‘Sachup’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of Fife, then ‘Sachope’ on Adair’s map of the east part of Fife. From the map the house seems to have been a modest edifice. The whole area of Sauchope was levelled and cleared for the building of an airfield in World War II.
The property was held by the Sauchopes, then by the Moncrieff family, and George Moncrieff of Sauchope is on record at the end of the 17th century and into the 18th century. John Moncrieff of Sauchope was a member of the Beggar’s Benison club. The property wend to the Woods, and John Wood of Sauchope is also buried in Crail Parish Church (see below). in the 19th century Sauchope was a property of General Graham Stirling of Duchray.
Members of the family were buried in the graveyard of Crail Parish Church on Marketgate [NO 613080], including George mentioned above, who died in 1707. The church is a fine building and there are many old memorials in the cemetery.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.