Lothians: About 3.5 miles south-west of North Berwick, on minor roads east of B1345 or west of B1347, at or near Fenton Barns.
Ruin or site NT 515816 [?] OS: 66 EH39 5AN
Site of tower or old house, which does not appear to be marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians. The present farmhouse dates from the middle of the 19th century, but stands close to an older building. ‘Fentonbarns’ is marked on Adair’s map of East Lothian, although it is not given much prominence, along with Fentontour (lso see Fenton Tower) and E. and W. Fenton
Master John Preston of Fenton Barns is on record in the 1590s and 1600s, and he was the Majesty’s Collector General and Treasurer to James VI, and a Senator of the College of Justice. The property went to the Coopers, and Andrew Cooper of Fenton Barns is mentioned in 1649, and then to Sir John Nisbet of Dirleton, when a manor place is mentioned in a ratification of 1669.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, check any and all opening and access information with the sites themselves…
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.