The Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry | Goblinshead | A comprehensive guide to 4,100 castles, towers, historic houses, stately homes and family lands
The Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry | Goblinshead | A comprehensive guide to 4,100 castles, towers, historic houses, stately homes and family lands
The ‘Bible of Scottish Castles’…now available!
The ‘Bible of Scottish Castles’…now available! 

Congalton

Lothians: About 3 miles south and west of North Berwick, near B1347, at or near Congalton Mains.

 

Ruin or site   NT 541802 [?]   OS: 66   EH39 5JP


Site of castle. A hall-house is mentioned in 1224, and fragments from a 16th- or 17th-century house are built into the walls of a garden. There is a ruinous beehive doocot [NT 541801], which dates from the 16th century. The place is marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians as ‘Congletoun’, and then on Adair’s map of East Lothian.
  Congalton was an ancient barony, and was a property of the Congalton family, who held the lands from the 12th or 13th century and are said to have owned Dirleton at one time. Much later the property passed by marriage (although through the male line) to the Hepburns, but was finally sold to the Grants early in the 19th century.
  The Congalton family were buried in the old parish church at Gullane (recorded also as Golyn) [NT 480827]. The church, dedicated to St Andrew, dates from the 13th century but was abandoned in 1612 because of sandstorms blown from the beach.

GOBLINSHEAD ONLINE SHOP

(coming soon…)

Contact

Goblinshead

Cockenzie House
22 Edinburgh Road
Cockenzie

EH32 0HY

 

Email: info@thecastlesofscotland.co.uk

 

Or use our contact form.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Martin Coventry