Borders: About 3 miles north and west of Jedburgh, to east of Ancrum village, near B6400 west of junction with A68, just west of Ale Water.
Ruin or site NT 632246 OS: 74 TD8 6UJ
Site of castle or old building, a vestige of which still survived at the end of the 19th century. There were the remains of vaults and one gable in the 18th century, but all are now gone. This may be the building shown on Blaeu’s map of Lauderdale at the north end (on the map) of the village of Nether Ancrum (now Ancrum village).
This has been suggested as a preceptory of the Knights of Malta, hence the name, although the name may actually come from ‘mantle’, meaning an enclosure. The lands were held by the Bishops of Glasgow, and they probably used the building as a residence or palace. Ancrum was burnt by the English in 1545, went to the Kerrs after the Reformation, then passed to the Scotts around 1670.
Also see Ancrum (Nether Ancrum) and Ancrum House (Over Ancrum).