Lothians: About 2.5 miles south-east of Edinburgh Castle, on minor road north of A6095, south of Duddingston Loch, near the Braid Burn, Peffermill Road.
Private NT 284717 OS: 66 EH16 5LR
Peffermill House is an altered 17th-century tower house of three storeys and a garret, with a semi-circular stair-tower, crowned by a conical roof, in the re-entrant angle. The walls are harled, the roof is steeply pitched, and the building has corbiestepped gables.
The entrance is at the foot of the stair-tower, and leads to the wide turnpike stair and the partly vaulted basement. The basement contains a kitchen with a large arched fireplace. The hall, on the first floor, has been subdivided, and the house has been much altered inside.
The property originally belonged to the Prestons of Craigmillar, but was sold to the Edgars, who built the house. Edward Edgar of Peffermill was one
of those in a commission to try several people of the ‘abominable crime of witchcraft’ in 1661.
The property later passed to the Osbornes, then to the Alexanders by 1696 when Mr George Alexander of Peffermill is mentioned, then to the Gilmours, who held it until 1980.
Dr Johnson and Boswell are thought to have visited Peffermill. Sir Walter Scott is believed to have used the house in ‘The Heart of Midlothian’, calling it Dumbiedykes.
The house, which stands in 3.5 acres of gardens, is in good condition, and still occupied. The property was put up for sale in 2012 for £1.25 million.
One story has the house being connected to Craigmillar Castle by an underground passage.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.