Lanarkshire & Glasgow: About 2.5 miles west and north of Biggar, on minor roads north of A72 or south of B7016, east of River Clyde, at or near Quothquan.
Ruin or site NS 995395 OS: 72 ML12 6ND
Site of castle or old house, although the place does not appear to be marked on Pont or Blaeu.
This was a property of the Chancellor family of Quothquan and Shieldhill from the middle of the 15th century or earlier. In 1536 William Chancellor and his brother Robert were charged with the murder of Thomas Baillie of Cormiston. They were fined 300 merks for non appearance at court. When they finally did appear, they were acquitted. The family supported Mary, Queen of Scots, at the Battle of Langside in 1568, and Quothquan was burned down by the forces of the Regent Moray. The family moved to Shieldhill or perhaps just renamed their property.
Master John Skene had a ratification for the town and lands of Quothquan and Cormiston in 1641, and they are mentioned again in 1695.