Ayrshire: About 1.5 miles north-east of Stewarton, on minor road south of B769, just north of Swinzie Burn, at Robertland.
Ruin or site NS 441470 OS: 64 KA3 5JP
Site of 16th-century tower house, said to have risen to six storeys, marked as ‘Robertland’ on Blaeu’s map of Cunningham and shown as a tower. The existing Robertland, a classical mansion of two storeys, was built around 1804 near the site of the castle, and was extended in the middle of that century. Some fragments from the old castle were reset in the walled garden. There is a panel with the 1597, and another with IR and AR (James VI and Anne of Denmark) and the arms of Scotland.
The property belonged to the Cunninghams. David Cunningham of Robertland, with others of his family including John Cunningham of Clonbeith, was responsible for the shooting of Hew Montgomery, 4th Earl of Eglinton, in 1586. Cunningham and his companions were quickly hunted down and slain, but the feud between the families lasted at least another 20 years. The tower, fortalice and manor place are mentioned in a ratification in favour of David Cunningham of Robertland in 1592. The family were made baronets of Nova Scotia in 1630, and Sir William Cunningham of Robertland was a friend of Robert Burns.
The property was held by the Kerrs from the beginning of the 19th century until around 1913, and the house was damaged by fire in 1914 when set ablaze by Suffragettes. The building was restored and is still occupied.
The family continued, now as the Fairlie-Cunninghames of Robertland, and they live in Australia. The barony is now held by the Reids of Robertland.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, check any and all opening and access information with the sites themselves…
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.