Galloway: In Kirkcudbright, on minor roads west of A711 (St Mary Street) or south of A755 (Bridge Street), west of MacLellan’s Castle, 12 High Street, at Broughton House.
NTS NX 682511 OS: 83 DG6 4JX
OPEN: Open Easter-Oct, daily 12.00-17.00; garden open Feb-Oct. Weddings and events.
Tel: 01557 330437 Web: www.nts.org.uk
In the attractive burgh of Kirkcubright, Broughton House dates from the 17th century, or earlier, and there are vaulted cellars from an earlier house underneath the present forecourt. The building
has a symmetrical 18th-century facade of two storeys with harled and pink-washed walls.
This was the townhouse of the Murrays of Broughton (who also owned Broughton Place and Old Place of Broughton, and the purchased the Cally estate near Gatehouse of Fleet and built Cally House, now the Cally Palace Hotel).
Broughton House was the home and studio of the artist E. A. Hornel, one of the ‘Glasgow Boys’, from 1901-33, many of his works are on display, along with paintings by other contemporary artists. There is also an extensive collection of rare Scottish books, including valuable editions of the work of Robert Burns, and a Japanese-style garden, laid out by Hornel, leading down to River Dee estuary.