Lothians: In North Berwick, just south of East Road at junction with Quality Street, at The Lodge.
Private NT 555852 OS: 66 EH39 4HN
OPEN: Public park and gardens: open at all reasonable times. Holiday apartment available in The Lodge.
The Lodge consists of blocks of white-washed buildings enclosing a courtyard on two sides with walls on the others. The buildings, dating from the 17th century (or perhaps earlier), rise to three storeys, and have been much altered down the centuries. The Lodge was divided into separate apartments in 1969.
The Lodge was owned and built (or remodelled) by the Dalrymples, after Sir Hew Dalrymple, Lord President of the Court of Session, purchased the Barony of North Berwick (and Tantallon Castle) from the Douglases (or the Dick family) around 1690. The Dalrymples held the property until 1939 when The Lodge was bought by the local council, and the grounds, including a formal garden, are now a public park.
‘Northberwick’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians, then depicted on Adair’s map of East Lothian.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.