Borders: About 2 miles west and south of Hawick , on minor roads just south of A7, south of the River Teviot.
Ruin or site NT 478128 OS: 79 TD9 0NW
Goldielands Tower is a ruined 16th-century tower house, rectangular in plan, formerly of five storeys. It had a courtyard with two outbuildings and corner towers. The tower had a vaulted basement,
with an entresol floor, and turnpike stair, which now ends at the second floor. The chamber above housed both the hall and kitchen. The parapet and attic storey have gone.
The site is marked on Blaeu’s map of Teviotdale in a small park as ‘Gaudylands’.
The property passed to the Scotts in 1446, and Scott of Goldielands was ordered to demolish Dryhope Tower in 1592. Walter Scott of Goldielands was one of the leaders of the party that helped to rescue Kinmont Willie from Carlisle Castle in 1596, as recounted in the old ballad, and his burial marker is now in Hawick Museum. Walter Scott of Goldielands won a silver arrow as prize in an archery contest in Selkirk in 1660, and he or another Walter is on record in 1690.
Reputedly, the last laird of Goldielands was hanged from his own gates for treason.
Goldielands Tower was drawn by Turner in 1830.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.