Fife: About 3 miles south and west of Kirkcaldy, in Kinghorn, near A921, just north of the Firth of Forth, 3-5 Burt Avenue, in the town.
Ruin or site NT 269871 [?] OS: 66 KY3 9XB
Site of castle, nothing of which remains. ‘Kingorn’ is marked on Blaeu’s map of Fife.
The stronghold, dating from the 12th century, was a royal castle. Kinghorn was made a royal burgh between 1165 and 1172. Alexander III fell from cliffs nearby in 1286 on his way to the castle to meet his young wife Yolande de Dreux, who was staying at the castle. The property passed to Sir John Lyon of Glamis, Chancellor of Scotland, towards the end of the 14th century, a descendant of whom was made Earl of Kinghorne in 1606.
Kinghorn was burnt by the English in 1547 after the Battle of Pinkie. The castle was used by the French in 1559, and they were attacked by forces under
William Kirkcaldy of Grange. Patrick Lyon, Earl of Kinghrone, had a ratification of 1672 which mentions the lands and barony of Kinghorn, with the fortalice, castle and castlehill thereof. There was
nothing left of the old stronghold by 1790.
There are tales of a ‘Grey Lady’ (or ‘Green Lady’), the phantom of Yolande, which has reputedly been sighted searching for her husband in the area and around the Kingswood. Yolande, however, did not die of a broken heart. The young widow went on to marry the Duke of Brittany, with whom she had at least six children, and she died in 1330, well into her 60s.