Borders: About 3 miles north and west of Jedburgh, near B6400, north of Ale Water, Ancrum village.
Ruin or site NT 628245 [?] OS: 74 TD8 6XH
There were four towers or peels within the village of Ancrum (Nether Ancrum), one of them called Rankin’s Peel, another Parson’s Knowe Peel. Nether Ancrum was burnt by the English after Flodden in 1513, again in 1544, and again under the Earl of Hertford in 1545. There was also a castle and village on the other side of the Ale Water, known as Over Ancrum (see Ancrum House).
The village is marked on both Pont’s map and on Blaeu’s map of Teviotdale.
Ancrum was held by the by the Bishops of Glasgow, and they may have used the building known as Maltan Walls as their residence. Ancrum was held by the Kerrs after the Reformation, then from the 1670s or earlier by the Scotts.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
(our sister site and open for business)
Ghosts and witchcraft from www.bogles.co.uk
Stuff to buy…
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.