Lothians: About 1 mile south-west of Kirkliston, on minor roads west of B800, at Newliston.
Private NT 110736 OS: 65 EH29 9EB
OPEN: House and gardens open some days in May & Jun and by appt.
Site of tower house, which rose to three storeys and had dormer windows and a bartizan. The present Newliston, a tall and imposing classical mansion set in fine grounds, was built in 1759 by the
architect Robert Adam, with later wings of 1845 by David Bryce. There is a walled garden, and an old doocot which has been converted into a dwelling. The stable block dates from 1723, and may have
been designed by William Adam.
‘Over Newlistoun’ and ‘Nether Newlistoun’ are marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians, then ‘Newlistoun’ on Adair’s map of West Lothian, where the house is shown in wooded policies.
Newliston was a property of the Dundas family, one of whom was Duncan Dundas, Lord Lyon King of Arms from 1452 to 1470. Newliston passed by marriage to the Dalrymples in 1699, and was the home of Sir John Dalrymple, 2nd Earl of Stair, who died in 1747. He was a Field Marshall and British Ambassador to France. The lands were sold to the Hog family, who had the present mansion built, and their descendants still own the property.
The gardens and park feature rhododendrons, azaleas and water features.
(sites, places, clans, names, films, dates)
Book has been won
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.