The Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry | Goblinshead | A comprehensive guide to 4,100 castles, towers, historic houses, stately homes and family lands
The Castles of Scotland by Martin Coventry | Goblinshead | A comprehensive guide to 4,100 castles, towers, historic houses, stately homes and family lands
The ‘Bible of Scottish Castles’…now available!
The ‘Bible of Scottish Castles’…now available! 

Dolphingstone

Lothians: About 1.5 miles west of Tranent, west of junction of A199 with A1, at Dolphingstone.

 

Ruin or site   NT 382727   OS: 66   EH33 1NH


Site of castle, remains of which survived at the beginning of the 20th century, including part of a barrel-vaulted basement. The upper floor apparently had large windows. A beehive doocot survives, now not in a good state of repair, dating from the 17th century or earlier.

  The former name for the barony was Cowthrople and the site is marked on Blaeu’s map of The Lothians. On Adair’s map of East Lothian, the place is depicted in wooded policies and marked as Dauphinton, but by 1745 the house may have been abandoned as it is not marked as a seat on a map drawn just after the Battle of Prestonpans in 1745. It is not clear why the name was changed.
  George Falside of Cowthrople is mentioned in 1617, while the Adamsons of Cowthrople are on record in 1609, then David Wilkie of Dolphinton in 1649. Another owner is recorded as being a MacLeod, and it is said that Cromwell stayed here in 1650.

  The site of the old building is steadily being encroached upon by the housing developments spreading up from Wallyford and Prestonpans.

GOBLINSHEAD ONLINE SHOP

(coming soon…)

Contact

Goblinshead

Cockenzie House
22 Edinburgh Road
Cockenzie

EH32 0HY

 

Email: info@thecastlesofscotland.co.uk

 

Or use our contact form.

Print Print | Sitemap
© Martin Coventry