Borders: About 1.5 miles north-west of Earlston, on minor roads west of A68, just east of Leader Water, at or near Carolside House and gardens.
Private NT 563399 [?] OS: 73 TD4 6AL
OPEN: House not open. Gardens open late Jun-Jul, Fri-Sun 11.00-17.00; or by arrangement.
Tel: 01896 849272 Web: www.carolside.com
Site of tower house in an extensive enclosed and wooded park, marked on Blaeu’s map of Lauderdale as ‘Carolsyde’. Carolside House is a stark but impressive symmetrical mansion, dating from the
18th century and rising to three storeys and a basement. There are fine gardens including an oval walled garden, with a national collection of Gallica roses.
The property was held by the Homes of Carolside in the 16th and 17th centuries, and John Home of Carolside is mentioned in 1647, then Janet Home, lawful daughter to the late Major John Home of Carolside, in a ratification of 1670. James Home, Esq. of Carolside is on record in the middle of the 19th century.
The house is still occupied.
22 Edinburgh Road
Or use our contact form.